Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disgusted how you operate
The Hotfix Share > General > General Discussion

ccaveman
I needed a hotfix to fix a crappy version of windows. Microsoft says I have to send them a request for the hotfix.
Bypassing that as it would take to long I found your site here.
Your site is no different when stating I can't have the hotfix unless I become a member.
Your no different than that crooked Microsoft. I became a member just to get the damn hotfix only to find the hotfix you have is corrupted and will not work.

Sites like yours need to be put into a list like spam.
Why can't you guys just be nice and offer the damn file to everyone? If the file works we may come back more. if your site has something to offer then maybe we will join but telling us no file unless you join is very poor.

Keep your corrupted hotfixes

Please un-reg me
xable
Moved to general discussion.

The file which you downloaded (Windows6.0-KB930193-x86.msu) is not corrupt. I personaly verify all files on the share and have just checked that one again to make sure. I suggest you download it again, your connection may of cut out causing a corrupt download.

On the contrary, it is I who should be disgusted with you, but I`m not, because I too once felt the way you do about haveing to register for downloads at sites, so I can understand why you felt the need for that flame fest.

For a long time guest were able to download, all files were in a simple directory listing and it was easy to leech of as little or a much as you needed. It was great.

Since then the share has grown in both size and popularity, with that brings more demand on resources and attracts even more abuse. To deal with it I invested my own cash in forum and download manager software and spent a great deal of time migrating downloads over to the new system. This made it harder to abuse the server and definatly improved the situation. Unfortunatly not enough to stop the server going down however, so I was forced to disable guest downoads, that was a very sad day.

Since then we outgrew shared hosting and are now on a VPS, despite the extra resources the site still goes down if guest downloads are enabled, especially if we`re hosting any beta SP`s. So for now guest download have to stay disabled.

The future is looking promising though thanks to a significant update to the download manager. It greatly improves the management of guest downloads, which will hopefully allow me to enable guest downloads once again without the server grinding to a halt. We`ll have to wait and see how it goes.

I`ve been working to get this rolled out, time permiting it shouldn`t be long.

Hopefully you can see the other side of the coin now and will think twice before abusing the next site op who is just doing their best, spending their own time and money to make your life easyer!
tfw2002
i have no problem with Xable's excellent hotfix resource website, and certainly have NEVER been spammed by this site.

All the hotfixes I've downloaded from here have never once been corrupted, so the problem must be with your PC ccaveman.

Keep up the good work Xable biggrin.gif
xable
Well said tfw2002 and thank you biggrin.gif

oh and yeah I don`t send emails out. You will not get spammed and you`ll most likely not receive any "genuine" emails either.
MrNxDmX
me also havent got a corrupt file error with fixes i've downloaded from this site. Being a member is required in most (nearly all) forums on net, and its not a hard job to do. Just spend your 2 mins, and you're in.

Keep Up the Good Work, Xable rolleyes.gif
richardf
From a frenchy to ccaveman :
Do not touch XABLE. It should be sanctified for what he does huh.gif

Xable :
Best wishes biggrin.gif

richardf
bilemke
Wow, I finally read a post or to after being gone for a few weeks and I see this rant..

Some people must think Xable works for Microsoft or something and that this is a service they are entitled too.

Honestly, contact Microsoft and request the hotfix.. Thanks to some nice people sharing here, I havent had to in quite a while. But honestly, it was quite painless. Reference the KB article you found and why you think you need the hotfix. Microsoft has emailed me with a download link every time I have asked requested one.
RanCorX2
WOW, what a rant! geeze some people, I mean how hard is it to register? takes a few moments and bingo... He needs to chill.
Lokie
QUOTE (Xable @ Feb 25 2008, 04:20 PM) *
Moved to general discussion.

The file which you downloaded (Windows6.0-KB930193-x86.msu) is not corrupt. I personaly verify all files on the share and have just checked that one again to make sure. I suggest you download it again, your connection may of cut out causing a corrupt download.

On the contrary, it is I who should be disgusted with you, but I`m not, because I too once felt the way you do about haveing to register for downloads at sites, so I can understand why you felt the need for that flame fest.

For a long time guest were able to download, all files were in a simple directory listing and it was easy to leech of as little or a much as you needed. It was great.

Since then the share has grown in both size and popularity, with that brings more demand on resources and attracts even more abuse. To deal with it I invested my own cash in forum and download manager software and spent a great deal of time migrating downloads over to the new system. This made it harder to abuse the server and definatly improved the situation. Unfortunatly not enough to stop the server going down however, so I was forced to disable guest downoads, that was a very sad day.

Since then we outgrew shared hosting and are now on a VPS, despite the extra resources the site still goes down if guest downloads are enabled, especially if we`re hosting any beta SP`s. So for now guest download have to stay disabled.

The future is looking promising though thanks to a significant update to the download manager. It greatly improves the management of guest downloads, which will hopefully allow me to enable guest downloads once again without the server grinding to a halt. We`ll have to wait and see how it goes.

I`ve been working to get this rolled out, time permiting it shouldn`t be long.

Hopefully you can see the other side of the coin now and will think twice before abusing the next site op who is just doing their best, spending their own time and money to make your life easyer!

WOW! I am glad to have registered here if only to see how a fellow Admin handled that response. I too am a forum admin and can whole heartedly respect this reply. I look forward to any info I can provide for these forums.
DizzyDen
I won't go into bashing a caveman but will try to share some words of wisdom....

I have learned, as is implied in my signature, you can only get out of a site what you are willing to put into it. This is not JUST for owners, mods, etc.... but also for the end users. When one comes and downloads something, if they believe it is corrupt, how is it helping a community if they do not point that out? By having to become a member to download, I would think it would IMPROVE the feedback channels, after all, a guest that simply leeches downloads certainly will not register to inform other users of potential problems.

I would like to extend personal commendations for Xable and all he has done for the Windows improvement community. It was he who unwittingly helped me with the update packs that I make for SP2 and SP3 with some words of wisdom he shed way back when....

Thank you for your help and your work Xable, please keep up the great job you do!
tuxplorer
By operating this site, Xable is trying to help people and yet you criticize him....the hotfixes are also hosted by this site when he can simply give the MS link with the password. And there are no corrupted hotfixes. Try downloading again. smile.gif
GrandmasterB
I've tried to get hotfixes directly from Microsoft too, a real nightmare. Thank god and Xable for providing this service. And THS for sharing that exchange 2000 hotfix for supporting Vista that made my day ;-)
rezza235
I have just joined today and I think this site is great. It is a pity that a giant corporation like Microsoft cannot provide fixes more efficiently themselves. It's a pity that their software needs so many fixes in the first place. I vote Microsoft pay Xable for doing a job they should be doing in the first place.
burfadel
People like ccaveman, if they are disgusted, disgruntled, or otherwise unhappy having to sign up to download updates/hotfixes, are quite welcome to fund their own mirror where leeching is allowed. People don't seem to realise that bandwidth=money!

I have nothing but praise for this site and how it operates, it takes practically no effort to sign up!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.