Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Unofficial" hotfixes?
The Hotfix Share > General > General Discussion

Petr
I think that it is not very good to call hotfixes produced by Microsoft and published in the Microsoft Knowledgebase as "unofficial".

There are also real unofficial hotfixes produced by somebody other.

I don't know exact Microsoft terminlogy but AFAIK there are four (maybe more) classes of hotfixes:
1. Published in the MSKB and available for download
2. Published in the public part of MSKB and not available for download, need requesting, free of charge
3. Published in the non-public part of MSKB and not available for download, need requesting, free of charge (like KB871228)
4. Published in the non-public part of MSKB and not available for download, not free of charge

All of these hotfixes are digitally signed by Microsoft and therefore I'd call them "official".

I know that most people here knows what means "unofficial hotfix" here but it is still confusing.

besides hotfixes there are also updates - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684

Petr
xable
Well it depends on your perception of the meaning of "Unofficial" doesn`t it. Seen as we don`t deal with none public KB`s i don`t see the need to clarify the differences, however, if enough people feel it would be good to change the wording i`m more than willing to do so. Maybe instead of Official/Unofficial - Publicly available/Request only would be better. I`m open to suggestions...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.