The Hotfix Share

What happened to Hotfix 915378?

Waudiz

Does anyone know what happened to Hotfix 915378? It's not listed anymore in the MSKB and it's not online here either. However, I downloaded it some months ago for one of my PCs. Now as I wanted to patch a different PC, it's gone. I didn't find any hint why it has been retired by MS. Also no evidence that it's been replaced by a newer version.

The mentioned hotfix replaced the Add New Hardware Wizard. The file and version was:

NEWDEV.DLL 5.1.2600.2853 from 02-21-2006.

There's only an older version still online in KB883667 (5.1.2600.2505).

Kind regards, Waudiz

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is the result of my investigations regarding the differences between the newdev.dll contained inside this hotfix and the one in KB883667.

Using the DarumGrim security binary diffing tool ( http://research.eeye.com/html/tools/RT20060801-1.html ), I could see which functions were changed.

The changes are minimal : it seems to be related to a better error-handling though ?

I uploaded two images relating to the differences.

So far, I'm not running into problems with this hotfix (requested to prevent issues during sysprep deployments).

Thanks again for the hotfix.

Edited by Vorenus