Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Improving The Hotfix Share
GrofLuigi
post Sep 16 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Group: Hotfixer
Member No.: 16,841

That's very sad to hear, Xable.

I can't think of a way to incite discussion, seeing there already is a place to discuss... I guess that is the nature of the topic (of the entire forum). unsure.gif To discuss something, one would need to have experience with it, and until it's gathered, another one comes around... Also, I guess many people don't bother and let Windows Update do its job...

That would mean that the forum is maybe too specialized and would need to expand... but where to? huh.gif And wouldn't it clash with your other forum? blink.gif

For example, I could contribute by sharing my internal update list (for XP and Server2003 x86), but it might be of limited use for many people (I go for the highest *.dll version number regardless whether it's official or not, so that's different from most ULs I know, but I don't update some components I don't have use for). Also I'd need some more time (and help?) to properly format it, and currently I'm very busy at work... And seeing how some have lost interest in updating their update lists, I cannot guarantee it won't happen to me. But the benefit (for all interested) would be - more pairs of eyes and more chances to catch errors or misses. Or I could just list the numbers, so anyone interested could use it for any puposes...

GL
Go to the top of the page

+
GrofLuigi
post Sep 16 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #12

Another thing I could do, is make an illustrated Autoruns tutorial, since I know some of the components more than I see other people do, and can make some educated recommendations (of course, others would be welcome to correct me), but that would also require some time I don't currently have... sad.gif

GL

This post has been edited by GrofLuigi: Sep 16 2009, 06:53 PM

+
xable
post Sep 16 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #13

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

I too am short of time GL sad.gif

OK, I think we`re thinking too hard now.. the main purpose of this thread is to get everyones thoughts on the new forum layout. As I don`t want to change it only to make it worse.

Everyone who has bothered to reply to this thread has said that it`s better, so I will go ahead and make the changes. We`ll see how it goes.

If you do see anything you`d like changed or added, like a new forum section or feature or anything else, let me know and I`ll see that it`s done. wink.gif

I`m exited about the future of the hotfix share, this is only the start of the improvements I have lined up and I will be working hard to bring them all in. smile.gif

Thanks for you input so far GrofLuigi, mirage, and Lance it`s been a big help.

+
GrofLuigi
post Sep 16 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #14

I forget people often tell me I'm a pessimist... biggrin.gif

Good luck
GL

+
xable
post Sep 16 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Yes a bit more optimism please biggrin.gif

... damn pessimists dry.gif laugh.gif

Just jokin GL wink.gif

+
Lance
post Sep 16 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,509

QUOTE (xable @ Sep 16 2009, 12:19 PM) *
Of course, the main point is to get the site more active, otherwise it basicly faces closure.

Is this because of the maintenance costs? Or free time? Maybe both?
I still remember the old times where the forum didn't exist… The "TXT" lists with the KB numbers and file versions… laugh.gif

QUOTE (GrofLuigi @ Sep 16 2009, 03:44 PM) *
I can't think of a way to incite discussion, seeing there already is a place to discuss... I guess that is the nature of the topic (of the entire forum). To discuss something, one would need to have experience with it, and until it's gathered, another one comes around... Also, I guess many people don't bother and let Windows Update do its job...

That would mean that the forum is maybe too specialized and would need to expand... but where to? And wouldn't it clash with your other forum?

I make the "GL's words", my own words. That's all I would like to say, but my English is poor. blush.gif

QUOTE (xable @ Sep 16 2009, 04:47 PM) *
OK, I think we`re thinking too hard now.. the main purpose of this thread is to get everyones thoughts on the new forum layout. As I don`t want to change it only to make it worse.
I`m exited about the future of the hotfix share, this is only the start of the improvements I have lined up and I will be working hard to bring them all in.

Anyway, a refresh in the layout is always a good start. "Who knows what the tide could bring? (Cast Away – Chuck Noland)" biggrin.gif
When do you intend to change the forum? Any foreseen date?

Best regards, wink.gif
Lance.

+
xable
post Sep 16 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Lance @ Sep 16 2009, 10:34 PM) *
Is this because of the maintenance costs? Or free time? Maybe both?
I still remember the old times where the forum didn't exist… The "TXT" lists with the KB numbers and file versions… laugh.gif

Yes we have come a long way, after over 3 years it`s not quite the thriving community I envisaged though. I spend a lot of time each day on this site and it`s a ghost town most of the time. With both disposable time and money getting less and less these days, motivation is dwindling fast.

I make the "GL's words", my own words. That's all I would like to say, but my English is poor. blush.gif

It is not to incite discussion but to just improve the share with help from the people who use it. If it`s not used and people don`t care if it exists then it may aswell not. btw I find your english fine. wink.gif

Anyway, a refresh in the layout is always a good start. "Who knows what the tide could bring? (Cast Away – Chuck Noland)" biggrin.gif
When do you intend to change the forum? Any foreseen date?

Indeed.
ASAP smile.gif

+
xable
post Sep 17 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #18

Starting now please excuse the mess. smile.gif

+
xable
post Sep 18 2009, 01:44 AM
Post #19

Some tweaks left to do but finaly there.. I`ve got cramp in my mouse hand! wacko.gif

Let me guess, you hate it and want it changed back. smile.gif

+
GrofLuigi
post Sep 18 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (xable @ Sep 18 2009, 03:44 AM) *
Let me guess, you hate it and want it changed back. smile.gif

OMG what have you done! You bet we want it back!

...Not! tongue.gif

Just kidding, it's great! wub.gif

GL

+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 08:49 PM
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners
The Hotfix Share is not affiliated with Microsoft
Copyright © 2019 TheHotfixShare.net