3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Improving The Hotfix Share
xable
post Sep 15 2009, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

In an effort to improve the share I`ve first of all been working on the forum layout which you can see in the image below. Please have a look and tell me your thoughts.

Attached Image

I think it`s an improvement, but I`m not the majority, so what do you think? What would you like to see added, changed or removed?

I`m looking forward to your feedback and making the share better, for everyone. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+
GrofLuigi
post Sep 15 2009, 03:07 AM
Post #2

Group: Hotfixer
Member No.: 16,841

I think it's better. smile.gif

GL

+
mirage
post Sep 15 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 260

looks fine smile.gif

+
xable
post Sep 15 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Thanks for your replys guys, I think it`s less cluttered and easyer to scan and navigate quickly. what do you like specifically and is there anything you would change or like to see added?

+
Lance
post Sep 15 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,509

Hello xable,

I really like the "new look" of the front page.
It is concise and clean, as I think that the initial page from every forum must be (easy to navigate).
But, what is the look of the subcategories?
For example: "Windows XP" -> "Subforums" -> "XP Hotfix Support Topics"
Will all the languages be together in the same page?

By the way, IMHO, this forum is mainly focused to list/make available Hotfixes, so I believe that a better arrangement would be:

Windows XP
XP Hotfix Support Topics (share, download and keep hotfixes up-to-date)

Subforums: Discussion and help with everything Windows XP related.

Thank you very much for all your efforts. wink.gif
Lance.

+
xable
post Sep 15 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Hi Lance, Indeed the support topics are grouped by product instead of language, the download manager is still grouped by language.

I agree the main purpose of the share is to provide hotfixes, reasoning behind the support topics being in sub forums is they don`t get used. Out of 9255 support topics there are only 174 replys. Hopefully the main support forums will be a lot more active than that and the support topics being inside those may help make them more active too.

We could move the support topics into their own category, that would be another option.

I like your support topic description, will use that if you don`t mind.

Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming everyone smile.gif

+
GrofLuigi
post Sep 15 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,841

What do I like > yes, less clutter it seems (I don't know the forum too well blush.gif , I have few bookmarks in the areas of most interest for me).

I too would like to see more discussion. For example, when I "addfile", sometimes I want to add my information or comment, but there is no field for that, and until the post is approved, I've already forgotten what I wanted to say it or it's too cumbersome for me to find the discussion topic...

Maybe they can be merged (the downloads and the discussion topics)? But I guess it would be too much work for the existing ones... And surely there must be a reason for this arrangement.

GL

+
xable
post Sep 15 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #8

hmm, you can indeed add extra info to the file, not sure why you think you can`t. There are several ways to find support topics too so it shouldn`t be a problem. Their linked from the files download page and can also be found with a quick search for the KB number, there are also tabs in your profile showing your recent topics and file submissions plus links to show your complete topic/post history.

Perhaps we need more guides on how to use the forum software, it can be a bit overwhelming if your not familiar with it.

There is a comment system that appears on the same page as the files download page but it`s disabled because it`s not trackable, in that when a comment is posted there is no way of knowing it has been posted, making a discussion rather difficult. This may change soon though as the download manager software is due an overhaulgh by invision so maybe it can by used in the future. I`ll keep an eye on development and put in a feature request.

Thanks for your input GL, certainly a few things to improve there. wink.gif

+
Lance
post Sep 16 2009, 01:32 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,509

QUOTE (xable @ Sep 15 2009, 04:47 PM) *
I agree the main purpose of the share is to provide hotfixes, reasoning behind the support topics being in sub forums is they don`t get used. Out of 9255 support topics there are only 174 replys. Hopefully the main support forums will be a lot more active than that and the support topics being inside those may help make them more active too.

OK. Now I understood the point. wink.gif

QUOTE (xable @ Sep 15 2009, 04:47 PM) *
I like your support topic description, will use that if you don`t mind.

It would be an honor, my friend. biggrin.gif

Thanks again for this great forum.
Best wishes,
Lance.

+
xable
post Sep 16 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #10

Of course, the main point is to get the site more active, otherwise it basicly faces closure. Which would be very sad indeed as far as I`m concerned. That`s the top and bottom of it. wink.gif

Hoping for some more feedback before I change anything, so if you can spare some time and have something to so please don`t be shy. smile.gif

+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2018 - 05:27 AM
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners
The Hotfix Share is not affiliated with Microsoft
Copyright © 2018 TheHotfixShare.net