The Hotfix Share

Windows 8 Developer Preview

xable

I didn't install it yet. Just made my opinion about reading all the stuff regarding Windows 8...

By the way I am on XP-x86, XP-x64 and Windows 7-x64...

And I guess Windows 8 will be a flop just like Vista...

And I guess Windows 8 will be a flop just like Vista...

Ouch, that's pretty damning, why do you think that? Especially as you've never even used it! I mean, you can read the manual all day but it won't teach you everything.

I'll probably get around to throwing it in a VM this weekend and see what's what.

Do you dual boot those or are they on different boxes? I've got W7 on the family PC, run XP myself and have Ubuntu in a VM for various other stuff. With every new release of windows comes a few reasons to upgrade in the future but I've not run into any need to upgrade yet, like TRIM support.

Damn, I have forgotten Ubuntu... LOL...

Well, I have my own network at home with ubuntu as a firewall and internet access. Each Os on a different computer as well as dual boot for programming... And a VM for Windows 7 x86 for testing purposes...

I can't acquire a taste for the new surface of Windows 8.

But I will promise to install it when the beta is out in February 2012.

hehe, supprised your using ubuntu as a firewall. pfsense would be better for a custom firewall I would of thought. Always wanted to build my own but not got around to it yet. The hardware side would be the most fun for me.

I think you should give W8 a go, it might supprise you, then again if your happy with what your using atm why bother, lol.

I rather build my own firewall rules. And this item is important if you use IPv6. That's why I use ubuntu as a firewall. And it is pretty reliable when blocking incoming or outgoing ports...

I will give Windows 8 a go...

I have been running Windows Developer Preview since Microsoft's Install Fair. It is much better than either Windows Vista or Windows 7, although it is far from finished.

The same applications run 1.5 to 2 times faster under Windows Developer Preview than under previous versions of Windows, which is one of the main reasons that I chose to keep running it after the Install Fair.

Memory management and networking are improved, as is user isolation, in that each logged-in user now runs its own Desktop Window Manager.

Windows Developer Preview features IE10, which is vastly improved over IE9. For example, they have solved the problem of not being able to connect to many secure (i.e. https) web sites under both IE8 and IE9. Graphics are also rendered by the GPU instead of the CPU, making for significantly faster browsing.

Windows Developer Preview features support for Metro-style apps, which is clearly nowhere near finished in that there are still a lot of bugs. I have chosen to turn all of the Metro-style user interface off, except for the login, which *does* work, and looks much better.

It would appear that Microsoft has received a lot of positive feedback, as they are now providing security updates for Windows Developer Preview on Windows Update.

- Chris