The Hotfix Share

WindowsXP-KB906472-v4-x86-ENU.exe

File Name: WindowsXP-KB906472-v4-x86-ENU.exe

File Submitter: iaoupointfr

File Submitted: 25 Mar 2008

File Category: English Windows XP Hotfix Downloads

KB906472 - You cannot format a Memory Stick removable media device by using the FAT32 file system on a Windows XP-based computer

Click here to download this file

• 6 months later...

Just a quick note to say I did a FAT32 format on my 128Mb SmartMedia memory stick on the computer.

It wiped out the low level formatting and made the stick useless.

There are some websites that tell how to repair it, and it can be sent away and fixed for about $12.00 dollars.

I was lucky and found a 1Gb refurbished stick for $15.00

According to what I read you could format it with FAT (Not FAT32) and get away with it.

I'm afraid to try it and will now format on the camera.

I don't understand what this hotfix is supposed to accomplish. Microsoft writes everything like its in the Army manual.

You can`t wipe out the low level formatting, most likely your camera doesn`t suport fat32.

The hotfix adds the FAT32 format option for memory sticks. To me that`s clearly writen on the KB, as is a note about some cameras not supporting FAT32. :)

If you can`t format your memory stick back to fat with either xp or your camera, use this HP tool. Works every time for me.

Hi; And thanks for the neat link...lots of good stuff there.

This is confusing. I still don't understand what the problem is.

Sony help says:

On a Windows XP-based computer, you cannot format a Memory Stick removable media device by using the FAT32 file system because there is no option to for FAT32 in the Format Local Disk dialog box.

But My XP computer does have the FAT32 format option already, for both Local disk and removable disc, memory stick.

If:

The hotfix adds the FAT32 format option for memory sticks, and using the FAT32 option is what causes the problem..........??

I just formatted the stick with FAT (16) and I can write to notepad and save it to the stick. I can save data, including audio to the stick and play it back, but on the folder tree it doesn't look right for the camera.

It used to have a subfolder in it...not now though, I think I'll try the smprep.exe 1 and 2 trick using AXE.exe to try to save the stick.

I bookmarked the Extreme O'clocking page , Thanks again for pointing it out to me.