The Hotfix Share

kb2919355 Component Store corruption

cgthamm

Toshiba Tecra A9 with 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard drive. Windows 8.1 Pro x64, fully Windows Updated and hotfixed (i.e. all publicly available hotfixes).

Before installing kb2919355, I manually created a restore point after running:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Note that at this point there were no errors in the Component Store.

I then installed kb2919355.

I then ran:

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

and then:

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

It reported that there are errors. I then ran:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

and it claimed to have repaired the errors.

I then ran scanhealth again immediately after restorehealth, and it reported there are errors.

I then ran restorehealth a second time, and it reported that the Component Store had irreparable errors.

I then restored to the Restore Point I had manually created when all was well, installed kb2919355, and did not run startcomponentcleanup (or Disk Cleanup with default settings, which calls startcomponentcleanup). At that point, scanhealth consistently reported that no errors were found in the Component Store.

- Chris

Edited by cgthamm

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news/bad news.

Good news is I can repro this on one VM that I have. Bad news is I cannot repro this on a clean VMs. I've tried with and without MS office 2013 So I cannot repro at will :-( What is your exact environment?

Not surprising since this issue apparently does not affect all users, and/or it's likely most users did not run Disk Cleanup or DISM Component Store Cleanup.

My system was an upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate using retail version of Windows 8 Pro X86, no Media Center.

Upgraded To 8.1 last October with no issues.

I do have Office 2013 installed.

I am using a local account, but I am not on a domain.

Hardware is somewhat older, Intel X3230 Xeon 2.67Ghz Quad-Core CPU w/4GB DDR2 RAM, NVidia GT-240 graphics, but with new Dell P2714T touchscreen monitor

No unusual software installed. A/V is Webroot Secure Anywhere (cloud-based) and on-demand Hitman Pro (also cloud-based).

I had no problems installing the 8.1 April update, but it introduced the component store corruption issue if I run Disk Cleanup w/System Files or DISM Start Component Cleanup.

As long as I don't run these, both SFC /SCANNOW and DISM ScanHealth indicate no component store corruption.

Susan,

By the way, I copied the DISM.log file (renamed it to .old) to my OneDrive public folder from an image I mounted from when I first installed the updates and

ran the Disk Cleanup w/System File and/or DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup utilities that appeared to have corrupted the component store.

Note all the Asian (Chinese?) characters that fill the last 90% or so of the log. Please have a look at it:

Corrupted DISM log file

My current log (after restoring the pre-update image and installing the updates w/o running any cleanup commands) looks fine and does not have these strange characters.

Also, I've seen some other posts mentioning these Chinese (?) characters in their DISM logs after running the cleanup commands as well.

Edited by RonnieJP

Susan,

Has there been any progress on this issue? I have close to 800MB of leftover files from this update that I'd like to clean from my SSD drive.

But I know that if I run Disk Cleanup w/System Files or DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup it will corrupt the component

store, or at least "tell me" that it's corrupted. If this issue fails to get resolved, then it appears that I will never be able to run these utilities

without a repair install, which I cannot even do since my retail disk is Windows Pro 8.0 and it won't let me install over a newer version.

I've been "riding the coattails" of the support case that was opened for cgthamm in the hopes that this will be resolved for me (and others) as well.

Do you think it would help if another support case for myself is opened with Microsoft? If so, would you be able to do it, or tell me how?

Thanks for any update (no pun intended) you can share.

Microsoft has to repro to understand it. If they can't repro it they need cases to see what's going on. Merely TELLING someone without giving them log files doesn't cut it. More cases opened, Microsoft understands there is a problem.

Microsoft cannot fix what they do not see as a problem. Right now they don't see this as a problem.

In my one vm where I can repro this I was informed to do the following

Ø Please run the following commands one by one

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:H:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess (Here H is the DVD drive/ISO)

dism /online /cleanup-image /CheckHealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

The problem is you need a 8.1.1 disk. Don't have a 8.1.1 disk do you? Nor do most.

So support is saying if the customer has VL they use that

If the customer has MSDN they use that

If the customer has a Windows 8.1 pro they use the 90 day eval verison of 8.1 enterprise as the 'refresh' command

Bottom line they use whatever media they can get.

Ø Windows store corruption most frequent cause are :-

:- manifest file corruption

:- package unable to create correct projection to windows store

:- Antivirus and third party applications

The problem may exist in the real world but unless the real world stands up/opens up support cases and complains, it's not a problem. I hate to be that brutal, but that's the reality.

If you'd like to help me/us all out and open a free support case email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @)

Ø Windows store corruption most frequent cause are :-

:- manifest file corruption

:- package unable to create correct projection to windows store

:- Antivirus and third party applications

The problem may exist in the real world but unless the real world stands up/opens up support cases and complains, it's not a problem. I hate to be that brutal, but that's the reality.

If you'd like to help me/us all out and open a free support case email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @)

Sorry for truncating your post quote to save space, but since running the Disk Cleanup or DISM Start Component Cleanup commands did not cause any component store corruption on the restored image I had

made just minutes before the update, I have to strongly suspect that the update is what initiated the problem. And it appears perhaps the Windows Update server files may be incomplete, or at least unusable

to use as a source file for the DISM source. Or, it may even be that the error message itself is just bogus and there is truly no component store corruption.

I think that perhaps this problem is not widely reported since most users probably aren't even aware of the DISM commands, let alone run them, and few are likely to run a full disk cleanup.

In any case, I did send you that e-mail requesting support ticket. I understand your directness and appreciate it. Please keep us posted. Thanks again.

Edited by RonnieJP

RonnieJP, there's no need to quote a post at all if your not specifically refering to a part of it, when you are it's better to only include the part your replying to. That way it saves people scrolling past the quotes when reading through the thread. There is also a generous post size limit so you shouldn't need to truncate a quote should you feel the whole thing is appropriate.

Unfortunatly I'm of W7 so cannot help in this case but hopefully someone can get some reproducible steps together or microsoft can manage to reproduce it themselves.

RonnieJP, there's no need to quote a post at all if your not specifically refering to a part of it, when you are it's better to only include the part your replying to. That way it saves people scrolling past the quotes when reading through the thread. There is also a generous post size limit so you shouldn't need to truncate a quote should you feel the whole thing is appropriate.

Unfortunatly I'm of W7 so cannot help in this case but hopefully someone can get some reproducible steps together or microsoft can manage to reproduce it themselves.

Thanks for your advice xable.

I know that I can reproduce the issue 100% of the time following these steps:

I restore an uncorrupted Win 8.1 disk image with KB2919355 update.

Run DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (or checkhealth or restorehealth).

"DISM found no corruption"

Run DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

Fails with error 14098 - "the component store has been corrupted"

Run DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Says "component store is repairable"

Run DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Fails with error 0x800f081f - "The restore operation failed. Either the repair source could not be found or the component store corruption cannot be repaired"

At this point, I restore the good disk image again and I can repeat the process.

I know that this issue has not been reported on a widespread basis, at least according to Microsoft, but I have seen quite a few posts among several boards.

It only seems to affect users who try to reclaim disk space after the update by either running Disk Cleanup w/System Files (including Windows Update)

Or by running DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup. And apparently not 100% of the users who do that experience the problem.

Hopefully enough people will report this so that MS will take serious note of it.

• 3 weeks later...